Saturday, June 03, 2006

Out and About/5th & 7th Wards

I spent my Thursday evening and Saturday morning out and about in the 5th and 7th Wards. I am supporting the petition drive to place the 4-year staggered term issue, for mayor and city council, on the ballot. My position has not changed since I completed a QC Times survey during last year's campaign. In that survey I stated:

"I support four-year terms. A reduction in turnover allows plans to be implemented with fewer interruptions. Most cities have four-year terms. We are definitely in the minority. I believe we would be better off on a multitude of fronts with this direction. I would support staggered terms for the aldermen. This would allow for smoother transitions for new councilpersons and for some mentoring to ease the learning curve. "

I believe the pros out-weigh the cons, with regard to this issue. I do respect the opposing position for holding elected officials to higher levels of accountability with the two-year cycle. It has merit. However, in the long run I think more continuity might exist and stronger binds could be tied with constituents in the 4-year cycle.

Door knocking and visiting with citizens is always informative. I target high-frequency city voter lists, provided by the county, so I am not going to every household on my rounds. This allows for interaction with more people that are likely to vote and with folks that may have stronger opinions for what is going on within their community. I went out in the neighborhoods surrounding Van DeVeer Park in the 5th and 7th Wards.

I spent half of my time discussing the 4-year term issue and the remainder of my discussions centered on current issues within Davenport.

The majority of folks, in these neighborhoods, seemed to think 4-year terms were a good idea, some were opposed and others undecided. It is tough to get a real feel for things with such a small sampling.

The "current issue" conversations included a mix of genuine concern and praise. Some are looking for a more professional council; others are concerned with spending, while still others believe the city is on the right track with services, development and new amenities.

I enjoyed meeting with folks and thanked them for their time. We have good people in Davenport and I enjoy visiting with them. Citizens care and want a better Davenport. I think this is what we all want in the long run. I am fairly certain the required signatures will be collected and this will be for the voters to decide. Regardless of the outcome, it will be up to the council to continue building relationships with citizens and to strive for that better Davenport.

6 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, there's this.

Second, even with 2-year terms there's usually not that much turnover in the council.
In 1985, 60% of council was re-elected.
In 1987, 60% of council was re-elected.
In 1989, 70% of council was re-elected.
In 1991, 80% of council was re-elected.
In 1993, 30% of council was re-elected.
In 1995, 80% of council was re-elected.
In 1997, 90% of council was re-elected.
In 1999, 30% of council was re-elected.
In 2001, 60% of council was re-elected.
In 2003, 70% of council was re-elected.
In 2005, 50% of council was re-elected.

4-year terms are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why 5th and 7th? Just curious

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have heard that the property of the trailer court between Hickory Grove and Kimberly has been sold. Also the farmland nearby on the Southwest corner of Fairmount and Hickory Grove. Any news as to what businesses may be going into these properties?

What is the problem with the small strip mall that has been sitting idle on the Southest corner of Kimberly and Fairmount?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

... and keep up the good work!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ian Frink said...

To Anon. 3:15,

No real reason for 5th/7th, other than these neighborhoods are easy to canvass, makes the process more efficient. These areas have high density of voters, the homes are close together, and a good mix exists through here (D's, R's, and I's). I was East of Van DeVeer between 30th and Lombard.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Ian Frink said...

To Anon. 1:12,

Thanks for the note, I'll look into this and post a reply in the next day or two.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Ian Frink said...

Follow up for Anon. 1:12,

Best Available Information from City Staff on Properties:

The “Tractor Supply” project does not require any rezoning action. We have seen a preliminary site plan and all seems to be in order.

The “Pedcor Investments” project does require a zoning change and is before the Plan and Zoning Commission with a public hearing June 6 at 5:00 PM. It is to include single- and multi-family development and “potential commercial development”. It seems the most certain and immediate part is multi-family. We’ll see more tomorrow.

We have no specific information on the vacant commercial center. It did not come forward through a rezoning and no info was given about intended tenants. We did see a plat. The name in our files is Cedar Development of North Liberty, Iowa.

I hope this helps, thanks for the inquiry and thanks to city staff for the quick reply. - Ian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home